There are many reasons why you would want to get a new worktop for your kitchen. The problem is, there are so many different choices out in the market these days that you may find the process confusing. Here is an easy way to choose what kinds of worktops you can use for your kitchen.
1. Ceramic tile – Ceramic tiles are mostly made of dried and fired in a kiln clay. They mostly come different colorful glazes and earth tones. When these tiles are placed correctly, the tiles can be immune from heat, scratch, and water resistant. Homeowners should also be aware that some glazes react to foods and household chemicals. Try not to throw the good crystal since the ceramic’s hard surface can chip glassware.
2. Plastic Laminate – Plastic laminate is not as expensive as the other types of worktops. It is also made of a resin-impregnated paper glued to a particleboard core. It also comes in a variety of colors and textures. This kind of worktop is also ideal for homeowners who want to do their own project as it can easily be bought in ready-made sections such as post-formed. Plastic laminate is easy to clean, durable, stain-resistant, moisture-resistant and cheap. The bad thing about this plastic laminate is it can easily chip, scratched and scorched. High gloss laminate can also dirt, grime and water stains, and the laminate cracking at the seams.
3. Stainless steel – Stainless steel can be a durable worktop, especially if you choose at least 18 gauge that has, at least, eight to ten percent nickel. Matte stainless steel is also easier to clean, waterproof, and heat resistant. However, stainless steel can also be scratched and dented. It is also not advisable to use this worktop for cutting because it can get scratched.
4. Wood – The most common type of worktops that is made of wood are made from strips of edgegrain or endgrain maple or oak. The surface will be glued together to create a solid surface. Wood is naturally beautiful, easy to install, reasonably priced, easy on glassware and china, and can be used for cutting software. The only negative side to wood is is that it can easily burn, it should not also be used near water since this can cause for the material to warp.
5. Stone – Stone is the very best countertop that you can use for your kitchen although it can be expensive. However, using natural stones are durable, heatproof, water-resistant and easy to clean. The only negative side to natural stone is that it is very heavy and it may be difficult to install this yourself. Homeowners will need an installer to have it properly installed in your kitchen. Also, oil, alcohol or any acid such as lemons or wine may stain your marble or damage its finish. However, granite worktops are immune to any forms of stains.
6. Solid surface – Solid surface worktops come in sheets that are approximately one-half inch thick and are made of polyurethane or acrylic with mineral fillers. They are also durable, water resistant, nonporous, bacteria resistant, easy to clean, and mold resistant. Although blemishes and scratches can still be a problem but this can get rid off by sanding it off. The worst thing that can be given to solid surfaces is that it is expensive, but not like stone, they also need a firm base of support.
When choosing the right kitchen worktops, make sure to take into account your needs and your budget. This way you will be able to buy the right one for your home. To help you with your choice, visit The Marble Store TODAY or call us on 0208 216 2051!